Monday, October 31, 2011

Meet the Librarians - Diana Symons!


Meet Diana Symons, the Social Sciences Librarian. She is the liaison librarian to the Asian Studies, Exercise Science and Sport Studies, Latino/Latin American Studies, Military Science, Peace Studies, Psychology, and Sociology departments.

We asked her a few questions, and this is what she shared!

1) What was your favorite food when you were a child? Waffles! I still love any type of breakfast food.

2) What is one of your favorite quotes? The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. That is real freedom. –David Foster Wallace

3) What is your favorite form of exercise? Yoga and running. I also love to snowshoe and canoe (see me flexing my guns in the BWCA?), so CSB/SJU is a good fit for me.

4) If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? I’d like to be a better cook. My vegetarian diet frequently devolves into eating cereal for dinner – like I said, I love breakfast food, but still….

5) If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? Pay off my student loans! Then I’d have a party, and buy some plane tickets to exotic and remote destinations. And after that, I’d be responsible and start investing and donating to charities.

6) If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose? Pippi Longstocking. Clemens Juvenile Collection PZ7 .L6585 P56.

7) What do you want to be when you grow up? A brave and strong and resilient and caring and thoughtful woman.

8) When was the last time you were nervous? Probably my last library instruction session – I still get a little nervous and over-prepare any time I have to speak in public.

9) At what age did you become an adult? Um, I’m pushing 30 and I’m still waiting.

Contact Diana at dsymons@csbsju.edu if you have any research questions.

No comments: