TV-NewsSearch: The Database of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive
The Vanderbilt Television News Archive holds more than 950,000 individual network evening news broadcasts, with 400,000 of those available for online streaming. The database includes nightly news programs broadcast by the national television networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and a daily news program from CNN. Abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Regular programs in the collection include:
- ABC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CBS Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- NBC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CNN WorldView: October 2, 1995 - November 3, 2000
- CNN Wolf Blitzer Reports: February 1, 2001 - December 31, 2001
- CNN NewsNight: November 5, 2001 - Present
- ABC Nightline: March 24, 1980 - September 12, 1988 Occasional Coverage
- ABC Nightline: September 12, 1988 - present: Comprehensive Coverage
For complete up-to-date coverage information, check the list of Available Material at the site.
The Archive's collection also includes news coverage of significant events broadcast outside the scope of the regular evening news programs with a focus on the U.S. presidential politics, including political conventions; election coverage; and Presidential speeches and press conferences. The Special Reports collection also includes coverage of major national and world events and major military conflicts involving the United States. Abstracts are not available for items within the collection of Specials, but catalog records generally include a listing of the events and people mentioned in the program. Some of the major items in the collection of Special Reports include:
- Each Republican and Democratic political convention since 1968 and corresponding election coverage
- Each televised State of the Union Address since 1968
- Most major speeches given by U.S. Presidents since 1968
- Presidential news conferences
- Coverage of the American hostage crisis in Iran
- Coverage of the Persian Gulf War
- Coverage of Watergate
- Coverage of the terrorist attack on the United States on September 11, 2001
- Coverage of the War in Afghanistan
- Coverage of the War in Iraq
Local news programs and news magazine programs like 60 Minutes and 20/20 are not included.
In addition to keyword searching and browsing by date, the advanced searching includes the option to limit by network, date, reporter, and program type.
Videotape copies of programs can be requested for a fee.
Dates covered August 1968 – present
Updating frequency Weekly
Sources News broadcasts, including coverage of significant events broadcast outside the scope of the regular evening news.
Type of coverage Indexing with abstracts describing news content.
Help Search tips are accessible from each search screen that leads to an Advanced Search to browse by date and network. A Help/Comments link opens a form to report problems, request assistance, or make suggestions or comments.