Friday, February 25, 2005

Have you hugged your librarian today?

The Johns Hopkins Gazette ran an article by William R. Brody. Mr. Brody writes about the advances of technology and how it will have an impact on how one retrieves information. But at the end of the article, the author states that "Massive information overload is placing librarians in an ever more important role as human search engines. They are trained and gifted at ferreting out and vetting the key resource material when you need it. Today's technology is spectacular — but it can't always trump a skilled human."

"Have you hugged your librarian today?"


-sg

2 comments:

Karleen said...

I haven't hugged any librarians lately, but I sure do appreciate them. For example, e-mails I get from Molly are always informative and relevant. Jim almost always seems to have a smile on his face when I am sitting around a conference table with him in a CAC meeting or when I run into him in other places, and always has answers to questions and is eager to take suggestions.

I've been meaning to ask him who I should thank for the new "Databases A-Z" link on the library's Website. I'm not exactly sure when it appeared, but I have really really found it handy. It's been a way for me to deal with "information overload," such as in cases when I knew we had a subscription to a database, but couldn't remember the pages I used to have to "wade" through to get access to it. That one little link is now my current favorite link on the entire library site (even though it makes me curious when I see it has a St Cloud State URL).

Keep up the good work!

CSBSJULibrary said...

Karleen - thank you for your enthusiasm for our new Databases A-Z page. The irony of your posting was that we had some intermittant problems with the site this weekend, but these have been solved. In fact, the St. Cloud State URL has also been changed to reflect our institution. The new URL for the Databases A-Z list is
http://library.csbsju.edu/page.phtml?page_id=21
.

I should point out that this project is part of a larger effort to organize the library's valuable informational resources using open source software running on a Linux server at St. Cloud State University called LibData.

We hope you and others find this helpful.

--DW